Wednesday, June 8, 2011

June 8, 2011

OMG, you guys!!! I have been without the INTERNET since Saturday June 4th…I have truly MISSED you but don’t worry I’m going to catch you up real quick.

So I came into the airport on Saturday and got some lunch a Cappello where the servers dressed a little like MICHAEL JACKSON from Smooth Criminal, you know, the hat cocked to the side and the suspenders…it was cute, trust me. I paid R113.00 (that’s only $16.94) for a CHICKEN SANDWICH, FRIES AND A GREEK SALAD, what a deal! Then I was able to get on the internet, check facebook, and noticed that two of my group members were in the airport waiting downstairs. I searched all over looking for someone who looked a little lost and found my two FUTURE BESTIES in a coffee shop typing away on their laptops.

I recognized Jordan right away from facebook and called her name and then was introduced to Alyssa R who was sitting beside her. I was so RELIEVED to be with a portion of my group and my fears IMMEDIATLEY left me. We chatted normally until Kathy D showed up from a delayed flight and completed what would be known in the future as the “WOLF PACK”!! We clicked so well and laughed so hard at all the same things. I blamed it on the oxygen deprivation, being that Johannesburg was reportedly the highest point in South Africa, which made us laugh even HARDER. We eventually met the whole group at 6pm and were introduced to our residing professors and SIT associates. Everyone is a BEAUTIFUL MIXTURE OF CULTURE. We have Jamaican heritage, Dutch, Puerto Rican, Biracial backgrounds and these wonderful people are a great representation of AMERICA.

So our days are PACKED!!! We have been staying in various BED AND BREAKFAST (TRAVELERS LODGES) until we reach our home stays on June 10th. We start at 7am with breakfast and then a lecture or group trip till 12pm, lunch is served then we have a group activity till 6pm. Our dinner is at 6pm then we are free for the evening.  I have been THE LIFE OF PARTY since we began and it has just come natural for me to embrace everyone. We have 4 boys and 14 girls, I am the oldest (of course) and the associates are very laid back. I’m just trying to keep in mind that school work is coming SOON (7-10 page papers!!!) so I’m trying to not get too relax.

Right now I am in Durban, SA sitting on my twin sized bed beside a ceiling high window that looks down into an exotic garden of trees and flowers. The air here is so light (remember oxygen deprivation…lol) and I am on my journey of self-evaluation and reconstruction. I miss you all but I’ve missed JOANNA the most and can’t wait to find her…here in the African Sun.

No comments:

Post a Comment